Blogs > Der Dräkblög

100,000 Copies Sold and What That Means

<< < (3/11) > >>

androvsky:
I seem to recall Sony at a previous GDC boasting that you could get a mini-devkit (basically, a debug unit and an SDK that runs on a PC) for the PS3 for $2000 (presumably includes ability to publish on PSN); it's safe to say the PSP is probably much less than that.  The 360 is probably in the same ballpark, problem is you'd never qualify to self-publish on XBLA.

As for the dub, Bang Zoom's pretty good, especially for anime-style games where you need VAs and directors that understand what's needed for super-cute characters like the ones in Recettear.  Just be careful about picking a regular video-game dubbing house if you decide to do a dub; a staff that does a brilliant job on something like a western shooter or even a Final Fantasy might have trouble when confronted with nothing but cute characters.  (also be careful with Bang Zoom, they have multiple quality levels, only settle for their best).  And remember, when dealing with dubbing chibi characters, no matter what you do, there's going to be people that hate it.  They'll either be too high-pitched and squeaky for some, or they won't fit the art style for others.

However, I don't think a dub for Recettear is worth it at the moment.  If EGS invests their surprise royalties into a console or handheld port, then it probably would be.

Rathus:
First Off, Congratulations are in order.  Great job on Recettear and amazing job on the sales.

I just wanted to weigh in on a few things mentioned here.  I agree with a lot of the above posts that an English VO might not be worth it on its own.  Part of me wonders if it's even possible to properly VO a bunch of Recette's dialogue, I laughed so much while reading it but I don't think a VO would do it justice.

Second of all, as you mentioned in your blog the timing on the pair of steam sales could have been reversed to a much better result (hindsight is 20/20 huh?).  As soon as I saw the first sale (bundle version) I had to pick up a copy, gifted 2 more copies, and convinced 4 others to pick it up as well.  Not to detract from the other indies, but as you said, those sales were pretty much "Recettear for $5!".   I have 3 indie bundles on steam (Humble Indie Bundle stuff), and i don't even remember which the other 4 games were that came with Recettear.  I was a bit sad when some days later I saw Recettear on for $5 on its own, as everyone I knew had already picked it up from the earlier deal.

Either way, you have all of our attention for your next project.  Looking forward to another great and unique game like this one was.  Who'd have thought I'd have so much fun selling stuff?

QC:

--- Quote from: androvsky on January 02, 2011, 08:54:27 PM ---As for the dub, Bang Zoom's pretty good

--- End quote ---
Oh, so true, but at the same time, so false. And I don't just mean this:

--- Quote from: androvsky on January 02, 2011, 08:54:27 PM ---also be careful with Bang Zoom, they have multiple quality levels, only settle for their best

--- End quote ---
Because that is so very much true (as I'm learning more-so recently with their handling of The Familiar of Zero... ugh...). But I'm highly inclined to believe that Bang Zoom only handles actual anime. Many people FROM Bang Zoom also do video games, but so do others. In fact, they mix a lot. But only in games. (example: FUNimation's Carrie Savage and Bang Zoom's Sam Riegal both in the same game-- Dawn of Mana)

But otherwise I'm a big fan of a lot of the Bang Zoom staples. And even some FUNi people. Which are the exact individuals I would recommend to go for... (I have a list somewhere on this site of my personal suggestions for the ideal casting-- I believe most were Bang Zoomers)

The only example I've seen of this in anime is random Miss "I want to be in everything ever like Wendee Lee has been over the last 80 years"-- Stephanie Sheh deciding to be in a lot of newer FUNi stuff despite being a predominantly Bang Zoom talent.

--- Quote from: Rathus on January 02, 2011, 10:03:00 PM ---Part of me wonders if it's even possible to properly VO a bunch of Recette's dialogue, I laughed so much while reading it but I don't think a VO would do it justice.

--- End quote ---
Considering the dubbing would only be over the brief little clips they say (Tear's "Mattaku..." for example), which aren't actually part of the dialogue you're reading, I don't think it'd be a problem. They wouldn't be saying the whole line itself... just a kind of little clip of the character saying something random. If you've played Persona 4, their S.Links work just like that...

I hope this doesn't trail the topic off from it's original subject. I just felt inclined to weigh in on something that is very much a part of my interests in particular...

dkellis:
I'm still not sure what to think about the Indie Story Bundle being "Recettear and four other games". On the one hand, it shows the huge word-of-mouth marketing potential for Recettear. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder what the devs for the other games in that bundle think about this.

(That, and I might have been influenced by sample bias anyway; most of my searches are from the Recettear-interest side.)

Carpe Fulgur has struck gold with Recettear, and replicating that feat is difficult: what is it about Recettear that attracts players who would otherwise not have given it a second glance? For me, it's the cute anime style, but I know that's only barely tolerable for others. I've heard it's the shopkeeping mechanic, but I personally wouldn't have bothered with it if it weren't for the artstyle.

Should CF try to stick with what made Recettear successful, or should they try something completely different? Or maybe only partly different?

I agree that branding is important now: while it's good to be known as "the Recettear guys" after Recettear's success, there's always the strong component of "and what have you done for us lately" in marketing a brand. Unfortunately, for the level of professionalism expected in today's industry, more hires may be needed, which would siphon more money from the pool, making the safety zone a little smaller.

androvsky:

--- Quote from: QC on January 02, 2011, 11:15:14 PM ---
Because that is so very much true (as I'm learning more-so recently with their handling of The Familiar of Zero... ugh...). But I'm highly inclined to believe that Bang Zoom only handles actual anime. Many people FROM Bang Zoom also do video games, but so do others. In fact, they mix a lot. But only in games. (example: FUNimation's Carrie Savage and Bang Zoom's Sam Riegal both in the same game-- Dawn of Mana)

--- End quote ---

The AnimeNewsNetwork podcast had an interview with the president of Bang Zoom about a year ago, and I'm pretty sure I remembered him saying that video game work was what was keeping them afloat, since that was during a time when they only had a couple anime series to work on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version