Author Topic: [fanwork][OCD][silliness]Recettear: The Animation (Opening script)  (Read 9932 times)

EcureuilMatrix

• View Profile
    • Email
DISCLAIMER: No ownership claimed, game and song mentioned below rightfully belong to people with actual talent; I'm not worth suing.

You know sometimes you just get vivid images of what could be?
Well, a few posts on this board got me "thinking", mainly QC's and dkellis'. (Thank you, good sirs, Curse you.)

What would opening credits for the (very theoretical) Recettear anime look like? (Anime OP music is usually a ~1:35 version of a longer song they sell at you on a overpriced single with a B-side and kakaoke versions.)

So Recettear is a firmly tongue-in-cheek game about money in a near-French setting?
Then I'll use a shortened cut of a tongue-in-cheek song about money sung in near-French!
By authorial diktat and cultural chauvinism, I chose "L'argent fait le bonheur" by French-Canadian band Les Respectables.

Think of it as an AMV without visuals! (Which defeats the whole point, but oh carp)

Opening elapsed time, visual script, lyrics, timing in full song, quick and dirty translation.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/EcureuilMatrix/OP-Recettear.gif

Song sample available on their site: http://www.spheremusique.com/fr/boutique/les_respectables/disque/bonheur

Also: I thought about Pink Floyd's Money, but it's kinda hard to shorten, eh?

Also: NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AT ALL

Tl;dr: Procrastination, ho!
I am a proud Marxist: These Marxses, that is.Well, who did you expect?

joshrl

• View Profile
Re: [fanwork][OCD][silliness]Recettear: The Animation (Opening script)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:46:56 PM »
And I seriously think no one is going to sue you. :P

Interesting, but if there was a Recettear anime, what plot twists can we make to make it interesting?

And I know this is a joke, but consider the idea! :D
TG: and a ruined cake! it was going 2 be so delish, but no
TG: it was claimed by the cruel and unforgiving sands of lopan

QC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:56:57 AM »
Well, a few posts on this board got me "thinking", mainly QC's and dkellis'. (Thank you, good sirs, Curse you.)
What did I do? I do things? I don't remember doing things. I think you have me confused with people who do things. Like dkellis.

(Anime OP music is usually a ~1:35 version of a longer song they sell at you on a overpriced single with a B-side and kakaoke versions.)
Oh how true your words are. I've always thought that it was criminal. Hell, even downloading would feel like you're being cheated somehow. It's ridiculous. Full version (with karaoke version as well, if possible) included in full OST please...

As for your OP, visually it sounds pretty amazing. Somehow the song feels a bit... out of place...? With the rest of the content being extremely (almost diabetically) cutesy, I can't imagine anything that isn't equally so.

In fact, I've mentioned this show recently, but Recettear kind of reminds me of Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy in a few ways. (WARNING: COULD CAUSE FATAL DIABETES) They even did the whole "use a pre-existing non-Japanese song as a basis, and then just Japanify it a bit" idea.

Either way, I'd love to see this, but your work only brings to mind the realization that it shall more than likely never be. How depressing. Good work, though.

*EDIT*
Cleaned the post up a bit. Note to self: never post when tired again...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:11:12 PM by QC »

dkellis

• Headsword.
    • View Profile
    • Moe Check
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:44 AM »
I have infected others with my belief that Recettear can make a good anime, and got you thinking about it. VICTOLEE.

What plotline to use probably depends on whether the hypothetical anime runs for one or two cours (ie 13 or 26 episodes). If thirteen episodes, then the debt repayment and perhaps the Obsidian Tower could be the main meat of the story, and the whole deal with Arma would show up only at the very end as a sequel hook. In the interests of plot tightness, Alouette might not be more than a cameo or a one-episode deal, although I suppose they could make something up for her. Similarly, the dungeons would have to be compressed to their final floors (or scene floors, actually; floors 30 and 50 of Obsidian Tower, for example), and maybe a single display of regular boss-fighting with a familiar adventurer, probably Louie. The opponent, I suspect, could be the Crowned Slime or Reginald Drisby. The Crowned Slime would be better for a straightforward fight, while Reginald Drisby strikes me more of slapstick.

Otherwise, if 26 episodes, then Arma can show up earlier, as can Alouette, since their presence early can be justified (as it is in the game) with later plot. I'll have to leave that part vague for now, though, because I haven't actually finished the Lapis Ruins (just hit floor 50).

Sideplots can include:
  • Elan and Caillou's visits to the orphanage.
  • Charme's Advice sessions in the Pub.
  • Nagi getting lost in the most unlikely places.
  • Caillou's refusal to believe that Recette owns the store.
  • Euria and her plots to sell her stuff via questionable tactics.
  • That guy who keeps buying arms and armour for his wife.

Things that should probably be expanded upon:
  • Just what Recette had been doing prior to Tear's arrival. Was she stuck at home like a NEET or something? Does she have school to worry about? Does anyone?
  • Tielle's sister, and the overall idea about fantastic racism Griff was going on and on about.
  • Alouette and Big Bash.
  • Alouette and Prime, for that matter. How Prime came to owe a debt of gratitude to Alouette's family, and how Alouette's tsundere attitude towards Recette mirrors Prime's own towards Alouette.
  • The certain kingdom that underwent a coup d'etat and lost a princess. Admittedly it's not like they can keep the mystery to the viewers for long, much as how the game itself puts out very heavy-handed hints.
  • How Pensee even works, for that matter. The municipal government and all that. Is Pensee part of a kingdom, or a kingdom in its own right? Where does that bridge to the north of the map screen lead to?
  • The Church versus the Secular, or the Church versus the Mages. How the Guildmaster holds off pressure from the Chapelmasters to regulate sale of "heretical items".
  • Recette's father. Maybe some flashbacks, with her father conveniently obscured by scenery or shadow. The scene which comes to mind is Recette's father telling her about walnut bread fishermen.

There are also the little bits of game mechanics that would have to be changed to fit into anime form. For example, news announcements: the "normal" way would be to show Recette or Tear checking out the noticeboard in the Town Square (you can see it in the background during Town Square scenes), or some sort of daily newspaper delivered. The "comedy" way would be some sort of city-wide magic that scrolls the news ticker across a dark blue band above their heads every morning.

Sadly, I have doubts that the act of selling and buying items in the store will hold up by itself for more than, say, one episode, before having to be relegated to the background. It is fairly repetitive in action. The strength of Recettear's appeal as a potential anime is in the character interactions, starting from Recette's unique view of the world, and how it affects those she meets.

Things I kind of want to see that are terrible, terrible ideas:
  • The Guildmaster and his (offscreen) wife.
  • A montage, set to enka, of Nagi travelling the world, while holding a shopping bag of groceries.
  • Griff and Tear reluctantly and snarkily bonding with each other, just so we can end with Recette's triumphant I-Knew-It expression.
  • "Before he passed, my grandfather used this with love." *holds up a durian*
  • The cast of Recettear doing a dancing theme.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:22:46 AM by dkellis »

joshrl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:42:55 AM »
  • The cast of Recettear doing a dancing theme.

But that would be awesome!  :P
TG: and a ruined cake! it was going 2 be so delish, but no
TG: it was claimed by the cruel and unforgiving sands of lopan

QC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
This conversation has made me want to revisit my attempt to discern who would should do the dubbing of each character...

Does she have school to worry about?
Does Recette SEEM like an educated girl to you...? *smirk*

Where does that bridge to the north of the map screen lead to?
I always imagined it lead to the dungeons...

[A montage, set to enka, of Nagi travelling the world, while holding a shopping bag of groceries.
This is awesome... outrageously and incredibly awesome... I must see this.

EcureuilMatrix

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »
I have infected others with my belief that Recettear can make a good anime, and got you thinking about it. VICTOLEE.

I will avenge myself by pointing out the dearth of Nanoha GamerS.I admit, that's a low blow.

I am tempted to see a first cour about the Debt and concurrent dungeons and a second about the post-payment events, Griff, Arma, the big revelation at the end. Unless we go go all Bakemonogatari and do a season+OVAs? I will admit to wanting some relationship development with all adventurers in turn, like one or two eps each over all. Plus AlouettePrime, the town... Euria will have to be content with being a running gag.

Sideplots can include:
    LIST
Quite good, add old men with funny ideas about staying healthy, Louie's dreadful luck and judgment, dutiful little girls and adventurers bringing all sort of random crap.

Things that should probably be expanded upon:
    -The Guild's labyrinthine business model.

How about Recette learning to keep abreast of gossip and rumours, slowly building her intelligence network (though, knowing that bunch, intelligence might be pushing it)

Yeah after a few episodes, the selling part would be ellipsed.

-Charme's grand compendium of Pub wisdom

dkellis

• Headsword.
        • View Profile
        • Moe Check
      « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »
      This conversation has made me want to revisit my attempt to discern who would should do the dubbing of each character...

I keep imagining Tear to be voiced by Mai Nakahara, just because. I'm not sure who can voice Recette; I'd suggest Sakura Tange if she weren't on-again-off-again retired. Kana Asumi, perhaps?

Does she have school to worry about?
      Does Recette SEEM like an educated girl to you...? *smirk*

She can obviously read and write, and she has no problems with calculating percentages. She just seems to have an interesting worldview... which would suggest being homeschooled by her father. Okay, never mind about school.

I will avenge myself by pointing out the dearth of Nanoha GamerS.I admit, that's a low blow.

Sadface. I swear I'll get around to it, once I clear out the rest of the backlog of Stuff To Do/Watch/Play...

I am tempted to see a first cour about the Debt and concurrent dungeons and a second about the post-payment events, Griff, Arma, the big revelation at the end. Unless we go go all Bakemonogatari and do a season+OVAs? I will admit to wanting some relationship development with all adventurers in turn, like one or two eps each over all. Plus AlouettePrime, the town... Euria will have to be content with being a running gag.

I can actually see a Euria-centric episode, focusing on one of her Zany Schemes. It's shown in one of the scenes that Euria is not actually working alone; she has bosses, who give her things to sell (like water purification machines), and while she may have been exaggerating, they seem to look poorly on failure. Something exploring that, or one of her Schemes Gone Awry, might be interesting. (And technically filler, but we can squeeze in some character development.)

-The Guild's labyrinthine business model.

Or, indeed, anyone else as a member of the Guild. Surely Recettear is not the only store who gets the privilege of paying Guild rates at the Merchant's Guild and Market?

How about Recette learning to keep abreast of gossip and rumours, slowly building her intelligence network (though, knowing that bunch, intelligence might be pushing it)

This can be a good followup from one of Alouette's lectures to Recette on keeping up with the news, even those that seem very far away.

For some reason I'm picturing it as an end-of-episode or extra bit, drawn in simplified form, with Charme providing life advice that could be applied to Real Life. Big Sister Charme's Corner, or something.

QC

• View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »

I keep imagining Tear to be voiced by Mai Nakahara, just because. I'm not sure who can voice Recette; I'd suggest Sakura Tange if she weren't on-again-off-again retired. Kana Asumi, perhaps?
      I don't know Moonspeak Voices by name. With few exceptions. In fact, very few, because I have a hard time remembering Moon-names. So even ones I once knew, I can't recall off hand-- just recognize when I see them. However I'm becoming more familiar with them these days as I've begun keeping track of Japanese VAs as well as English ones.

The latter of which being what I was talking about (hence the word "dubbing"). I've been working on it on and off all day, but while I've made some progress, some characters are proving ridiculously difficult to cast. The four remaining are Tear, Tielle, Nagi, and Euria. If I can place those, I'll post my results somewhere... maybe here... I don't know.

If not here, I'll link to it here... but I don't see myself finding roles for those four any time soon. It's proving too difficult for me. If anybody has ideas, even if you're not 100% certain on them, for the love of all the gods everywhere, post them-- or PM me. This is driving me insane trying to do this... and I'm too stubborn to quit...

Sadface. I swear I'll get around to it, once I clear out the rest of the backlog of Stuff To Do/Watch/Play...
      Amusingly enough, I just read through the whole archive of that just before EM posted about it.

Hilarious stuff. I had to show some of of the more Subaru-centric pages to a friend because she reminds me of somebody in our circle of friends...

For some reason I'm picturing it as an end-of-episode or extra bit, drawn in simplified form, with Charme providing life advice that could be applied to Real Life. Big Sister Charme's Corner, or something.
      That would be perfect... now I want to see an example of this, if not more than just an example...

EcureuilMatrix

• View Profile
        • Email
      « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »
      For Charme, I'd want Shizuka Ito!

Great VA: Akiha in Tsukihime, Tama-nee in TH2, Kanzaki in Index, Wilhelmina in Shana, Hinagiku in Hayate, Eika in Sky Girls, Shario/Otto/Deed in NanohaStrikerS, Boota in GurrenLagann (!)

Her blog URL contains beerlover-shizuka and she means it.

QC

• View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
      I actually would leave the Japanese voice actors the same. I felt they did a good enough job in the game... *shrug*

At any rate, since nobody wants to talk about the ENGLISH side of voicing (no surprise there...), I'll post what I managed to come up with...

CharacterVoice ActorSimilar Role (closest match)
      RecetteCarrie SavageMeracle Chamlotte (Star Ocean: The Last Hope)
      TearMela LeeShinku (Rozen Maiden)
      LouieBryce PappenbrookJack Russell (Radiata Stories)
      CharmeAmanda Winn-Lee"Inebriated" Yukiko Amagi (Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4)*
      PrimeAmanda Winn-LeeEtna (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness)
      CailouJulie Ann TaylorJude Maverick (Wild Arms 4)
      TielleMelissa FahnNorn (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana)
      AlouetteStephanie ShehGreta (Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy)
      NagiStephanie ShehErys Jerand (Star Ocean: First Departure)
      ElanDave WittenbergCliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)
      GriffKyle HebertVolsung XERD_3113 (Wild Arms 5)
      ArmaMichelle RuffYuki Nagato (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
      EuriaMichelle RuffYukari Takeba (Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3)
      *=I don't have an example for non-drunk Charme... but I think she can do it, too.

dkellis

• Headsword.
        • View Profile
        • Moe Check
      « Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
      It's probably a bad sign that I find myself coming up with summaries and outlines for episodes.

QC

• View Profile
      « Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:56:30 PM »
      It's probably a bad sign that I find myself coming up with summaries and outlines for episodes.
      As long as you post them, I won't judge you...

dkellis

• Headsword.
        • View Profile
        • Moe Check
      « Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »
      As long as you post them, I won't judge you...

I should mention that I'm coming up with summaries and outlines plural for each episode, as in I have more than one idea of how each episode might go depending on what we're going for. After all, there's differences in emphasis depending on whether we want action (more dungeon-delving), comedy (slapstick or snark?), drama (the tension between races, Recette's father), etc.

Overall, though, I think the tone should be upbeat and cheerful, with an energy driving the series at a certain speed, rather than something relaxing and slow-paced. Tear will probably get the majority of the audience-surrogate lines, since she's supposed to be the Straight Man of the Recettear partnership, but other characters will fill in the role as needed.

Yes, I might be thinking about this too much.

The first episode should probably start at least somewhere in media res, with Recettear already open for business. (A little like the game itself.) It should be an encapsulation of a Regular Day in Recette's life (post-shop-opening, anyway), with how it all began explained in the second episode as a flashback (like the game), or brought up in bits and pieces throughout the entire series, to form a thematic link: Recette, from the start, never questioned Tear's motives. That unwavering trust is a huge part of what makes Recettear so heartwarming.

Also, the first episode might have the opening theme delayed, or simply have the opening credits roll over the action. This is common practice in anime, although not mandatory.

Standard idea: A peaceful montage of Pensee waking up to a new day, intercut with shots of a fairy (shown only from behind or at another angle that deliberately hides her face) going through the city towards an item shop. A shot of the item shop's sign, "Recettear".

The fairy ascends the stairs to the second floor, where she enters a room, and speaks the first line of the series: "Oh, for the love of... she is still asleep." (Possible addition: "How can anyone sleep so much every day? HOW?") The fairy takes a deep breath, and shouts out Recette's name. Recette wakes up, startled, but recovers quickly, and greets Tear good morning.

Random idea: A montage of monster-slaying, with a swordsman slicing through slimes and ropers (no blood, and the monsters burst into crystals when defeated), intercut with black screens with opening credits in white, all while dramatic music plays. The impression should be that of a standard action-adventure dungeon-delving fantasy anime.

The swordsman, sword gleaming and white scarf fluttering, faces off with a giant Crowned Slime (again, because it's easy to show a battle against slimes without blood; we want to keep it as kid-friendly as possible). The swordsman is surrounded, but he unleashes a special attack that sweeps away the slimes around him, and a final dramatic slice to defeat the Crowned Slime... which explodes in a shower of gems.

Focus on a peculiarly-shaped object left where the Crowned Slime was, which the swordsman picks up... and cheerfully hands over to Recette and Tear, only now shown to be previously just offscreen. Recette is happy to receive the dripping thing, while Tear looks faintly disturbed at having to handle a slime's liver. The red door appears, and Louie and co. step through, back to Pensee.

... yeah, I definitely think way too much about this.

QC

• View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
      Now we just need to get somebody to write up the script...

Then draw it, color it in, add music, sound effects, voices-- er...

... Or we could just keep musing about what it WOULD be like. *smirk*

On that note, your description sounds pretty well thought-out. I can actually sorta envision it and everything.