Author Topic: Help! Is it too late to 500k? Any ideas?  (Read 2798 times)

ResetMyEars

• View Profile
Help! Is it too late to 500k? Any ideas?
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
Hello, first post and general newb to the game so hi! :) On my first playthrough and with the help of some slightly cheesy reloading I have reached the final week and the dreaded 500k pix bill is lurking. I come seeking help as I think I may have left it too late to make up the 500k total and don't want to pointlessly keep trying and reloading with no hope of success (something I will do and am doing >.<)

My game situation is as follows... It is the morning of Day 33! (Yep not even the start of the last week...) My pix balance is currently at 163,042 and I'm sitting about 2 thirds through merchant level 12.

Prices are up for Metal, Daggers and Weapons. No prices are down.

I have two orders, one for  2weapons and one for  2treasures... Weapon order with weapons up should be a serious yayifications moment but sadly its with a new adventurer guy who I haven't sold to before so he has no cash to speak of. Same for the treasures order, except its the woman who doesn't seem to like me and never wants to pay much and never 'hearts' me. So those are pretty much dead in the water and next to no profits there.
Last of all items I have of note are Silver Armour, Knights Blade, Gilded Sword, Survival Knife and a Purity Ring... Can't seem to start a new line so I guess I'm running out of space.. One last thing, I am up to Amber Garden 21-25... So what do you think? Can I reach 500k with some fiendish strategy or is it all over? Any advice, tips, help, tear inducing flames welcome, thanks for reading my ramblings and sorry about the text block.. new line is playing up.

JoetheArachnid

• View Profile
Re: Help! Is it too late to 500k? Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »
Newb here too :p

I just finished the game, got to about 416k then made the rest by selling literally EVERYTHING to the Merchant's Guild. Even then I only just scraped it.
I wouldn't bother with any dungeons (there's no big prize at the end of Amber Gardens, at least not money-wise), but get stock of whatever is the best available and try to sell when things are expensive for about 200-250%. Try not to have things that are going for normal prices on the shelves (hence keeping a large stock). You'll have to spend a lot to make the money.

Also try to get your Merchant level up by getting first-time haggling right repeatedly in a row. You gain a combo up to a maximum of 128xp per sale, but you might not even get enough sales for that in a given session. Watch out for the little girls - they are very adept at combo breaking, so you might have to over or underpay/sell to keep the combo going sometimes.

You're in a tough situation, but I still think it's doable... with a lot of luck.

vinfang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »
It might be a little too late but if you have a few days left, keep a look out on the news for any boom items. I happened to have holy relic interest by old people combined with them being double in price and that netted me over 80k in one time slice. It was really weird having old men show up at my shop and sadly I only had 5 holy items on sale. If I were to redo the game I'd pay attention more to the boom items without being distracted so much by that 500k debt.

Morphological Consistence

• Fairy Lecturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
Also try to get your Merchant level up by getting first-time haggling right repeatedly in a row. You gain a combo up to a maximum of 128xp per sale, but you might not even get enough sales for that in a given session. Watch out for the little girls - they are very adept at combo breaking, so you might have to over or underpay/sell to keep the combo going sometimes.
To maximize exp gain, just always sell at 104% and buy at 70%. Works for little girls and gets you the most near and just pin bonuses.
“There is no need to treat me like a flying ball of greed…” — Tear

Aquan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »
Well, I doubt that exp gain is of the utmost importance right now :p Right now he should be selling for as high as possible (115-125% x2 if there's a high price going). On the other hand, higher merchant level means access to better stock + vending machines (provided he can reach level 15 before running out of time to sell). They can be a life saver in getting rid of those hard-to-sell stuff. If that's out of reach because of time issues, then try the following:

- try keeping the atmosphere in the middle + a lil' scratch at gaudy. I noticed that the closer to the middle, the more customers show up in a time slice. And of course, you want to keep Alouette coming, since she can take lots of punishment in regards to prices (I can hog her for 260% when there's a high price). Prime's ok too, since despite being a greedy monkey (104% price at best), she usually goes for the expensive stuff and that in addition to high price still means a fair deal of profit. You can change the atmosphere depending on what kind of items you throw in front of the window (you'll have to experiment a lil) or from simply using different wallpapers/floors etc (which means more moneywasting sadly)
- since you already said you're reloading saves, try to keep the max efficient sales during the slices. Under no circumstances should you buy any high price items from the people visiting your shop (for obvious reasons). On second thought, try to get as little buying offers as possible and if, make sure they're cheap. If some items are in denial, pull them off the shelves.
- you could experiment with the max budget for all the shoppers. When asked to suggest an item, pick the most expensive one and see if they'll buy it at your regular price. If they won't, try cutting the price significantly (under 100% of course). That'll give you general idea how much you can squeeze out of the customers. Then just get as much stuff that's within their financial reach and sell it.
- keep the stock suitable to how much a customer is willing to spend. Don't invest into cheap stuff since in this case you need to rely on quality over quantity. Make sure you liquify all the cash into the items.
- Keep an eye out for item booms. As vinfang stated, you can get a real nice profit when you get a huge amount of people going for some stuff. In your situation the perfect would be a high price + boom on the treasures. Stocking up with golden scales for all the money could net you 300k provided all get sold
- Oh and yeah, did you expand your shop yet? It costs 10k pix if I remember correctly (don't take my word on it) but you should definitely take that, since you'll be able to place more stuff and either more room for the items to sell, or a spot for a vending machine to get yourself a bonus selling spot (you don't get anything more than 100% of item price but they're being sold outside the regular shopping queue so in addition to regular sales you'll always get those few more pix)
- The ultimate desperate attempt - Go dungeon crawling from the first floor and go for the last floor. I call it desperate because you'll have to farm the mobs and treasures for a long time and won't be able to afford getting KOed. However there's a chance that you'll leave the dungeon stuffed with some formidable valuables (especially the knights + bosses)

In general, if you can maintain a fair profit per slice (let's assume you'll spend all the slices selling, changing one slice once in a while to restock on supplies), it's most certainly possible to get the money. Hard as hell, but under favorable circumstances possible. Let us know if you'll be able to turn the tides ;)

Ledi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:01:21 PM »
It's definitely possible! It's near enough to my issues when I started that last week. What I noticed (and did) to get from 6k to 500k:

No dungeons. The day/evening slices are too valuable to use being in a dungeon (my first try included dungeons, and I got to 375k. My second try, no dungeons and I broke the needed amount)
Use the morning to stock. This way, the market is also open.
Buy whatever is in boom. I went through my entire capital most mornings on enough of the most expensive types of 'boom' item available to fill my shop, and then some (plus some food).
Have some extra really cheap items. It may not net the most profit, but if you don't have much capital, selling a wooden bracelet is still better than nothing, and can help rep up your customers for the next round.
If you haven't, and are at the right level, expand the shop. More people = more profit.
If you get orders, buy the most expensive thing to fill them (and hopefully the customer's budget will stretch).
From day 33-36 I think I went shopping either once or twice in the morning, at all other times I was in the store.

I'd go to the merchant guild in the morning of your current day and blow the entire budget on weapons, metal and daggers. The best you can get. Put the most expensive ones in the window, the rest in the store. The little extra you pay on base price is *nothing* compared to how much you can get from the customers. If the boom lasts the entire day (or more) you could find yourself making upwards of 250k in that one day, and have extra stock for the coming days and orders.

I hope that helps just a little, and good luck!

PS. I know that you're time constrained so this isn't overly applicable, but I've been finding on my second playthrough that the more capital I throw into getting items, the more profit I'll make in the next two days. Having a housewife pounce on me and going "This is a perfect present for my mother-in-law!" and buying a platinum halberd was amusing (I had only weapons and armor in the window).

ResetMyEars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:31 PM »
Nice, loads of helpful replies waiting for me, thank you all for coming to my aid. I will have a study and then put your advice into practice and report back with how I'm getting on. Haven't played since my post so all is as I left it... off I go, capitalism ho!

Kyou-Kun

• Otaku for Life.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 11:35:37 PM »
If the price increases for something, buy loads of it from the merchants etc, more than than actual customers. Also, orders can help to raise some money, because since you can choose what goes in, you can choose the most expensive stuff and make a nice profit - if only one item on the order was high price, then you can do at least 200% base price for it. And, as you expected, don't sell things that are at a decreased price.

Also, around this time, I never went to dungeons. I just found the loot there wasn't high enough value, but hey, that's me.

I've also found that robes (Wizard robes etc) sell really well, so I would constantly stock up on them.

Finally, treasure is somewhat a jewel in the rough - if you can actually manage to sell it, then great, but actually doing so is most of the problem.

ResetMyEars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:54:08 PM »
Update here. Day 33 Morning, went out and bought metals and weapons (only metal weaps as next part of day weapons normalise but metal stays) plus I expanded the shop, 29k pix left in the bank... Noon of day 33 shop is stocked and opened, sales this slice brought me up to 85k plus I managed the 128 just combo and hit lvl 13 merchant. Evening slice metals normalised so lots of my stock isn't 200% saleable anymore, but accessories are now increased in price, got a few of those in the window. Thats my current position, will run both the evening and night slices with shop open, restocking from my bag and go restock in the morning accordingly.

Update for evening and night of day 33... Finished up on 135k. Morning 34, heavy armour inc price, shields down, accessories still up. Off to restock those shelves. It seems to have gone a bit wrong, Morning 35 and yesterdays profits brought me back up to 136k, 1k more... Accessories price has normalised, left with a bunch of normal priced rings and stuff nobody wants. Just combo 128 again up to level 14... 2 days to get from 136k up to 500k.. I think this attempt has been a bit of a disaster. End of day 36, liquidated all unwanted stocks and finished on 322,757 pix.. cardboard box time! Was really unlucky, things would go up in price, I'd buy a bunch and then they'd normalise and decrease in price so quickly, time to reload from the start of day 33!

Just falling short, next attempt I'm on 400k with the evening and night slices left of the final day, not enough stock to get another 100k together though even if I could get the customers.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:04:21 AM by ResetMyEars »

KayDat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 02:40:04 AM »
If you're already reloading, what you can do is save at the start of every slice in a different save slot. If an unfavorable change in price comes along, reload, as news is generated randomly. Or you could just play for the second loop. Would be much easier, since you have everything left over.

ResetMyEars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 05:25:43 AM »
Have bitten the bullet and started from scratch now I know a little more whats going on. Hopefully avoid reloading this time round, play it a little more fairly. Loop 1, Day 4, Morning and I have finished Jade Way to get charme visiting and have 6491 pix sitting in the bank, plus a few nice loots to sell when people heart and can afford more. Merchant level 2, so hopefully a day of just combo fun and that will boost a bit more. Seems the young man is a good target market as he has decent cash and likes to buy lots of weapons.. and if I read right he doesn't come in the morning, as I spend that restocking its ideal. Great little game this, wouldn't have spotted it without steam, yayness I think is the word.

Thanks for posting all the tips and ideas, fingers crossed I'll be good now and can have a better shot at 500k when it comes around, so far nicely on schedule for the first 10k bill which is a good start. :)

Mmiayiuckoi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 07:47:33 AM »
I didn't worry about EXP in the game at all...I just tried to get the max % each character would buy at. 130% for the 2 guys,(150%+ for the awesome rich girl!!!) %125% for the housewife and old man, 115% for the cheap little girl...and when price increase hits, it's 300% (350%+ for the awesome rich girl!!!), 275%, 225%...I ended the game with 750,000 Pix. I bought all the ham sandwich, beef bowl, cake, and that other expensive food at price decrease...and luckily got a price increase in food on the LAST day! Selling food at like 8,000 - 9,000+ a piece. Take advantage if price decreases and buy every type of item and eventually price increase will net tons of money!

And if you're lucky like I was...people asking for 2 treasures during treasure price increase...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:50:02 AM by Mmiayiuckoi »

ResetMyEars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 08:09:22 AM »
I've gone the exp route, just finished the first week and after the 10k bill I still have 55k left and am merchant level 11. Miles ahead where I was on my first try. Selling to everyone at 104% and just combo 128 with a fair degree of frequency. Going to go sink 25k more into stock, leaving 30k to cover the weeks expenses.. not got the news yet so no price increases for me, can't remember what day/level that kicks in. Lvl 11 has opened some more items available and have hearted almost all the customers... just the little girl and the woman to go, they aren't easily impressed.

Any idea how much money the young man has with 3 hearts? Louie with 2?. They have placed orders so need to buy within their limits both for sales and maintaining my combos for no haggles.