CF Games > Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

"No! That's not for YOU!"

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ozar:
Oh, so there's no 'trick' or particular method for doing it? Drag.

This reminds me of Chapter III of Dragon Quest IV, wherein you played the role of the weapon merchant across the desk, selling to random adventurers who walked in the door. Eventually one would sell me the rare fireball shooting sword, which I would want for myself. But in that game you could only say "Yes" or "No," and the customer would fill in the blank themselves. "Can I have this awesome sword?" "No." "Oh, you'll give it to me at a discount?" "NO!" "Okay, how does 1500 Gold sound?" "NO!" "What, you raised the price?" "NO!!" "Oh, okay, so 1500?" *bang head against wall*

I'm not familiar with 'combos' yet though (Sticking to the 30% markup as a baseline cost me a lot of sales.) How undesirable is it to lose them?

Iamien:

--- Quote from: Ozar on September 12, 2010, 08:27:37 PM ---I'm not familiar with 'combos' yet though (Sticking to the 30% markup as a baseline cost me a lot of sales.) How undesirable is it to lose them?

--- End quote ---

Right now you are haggling with them and getting 10-15 exp per item sale, yet getting more cash

If you get a streak of them buying things on your first offer(104%-115% base), you get more XP each time.  As in : 10 + 2, 10 + 4, 10 + 8, 10 + 16, 10 + 32, 10 + 64, 10 + 128, 10 + 128. 128 is the cap for the "Just" bonus. Selling at the low rate also lets you gain reputation with each type of customer, which makes that type of customer carry more cash into your shop and willing to haggle longer.

This allows you to gain merchant levels much faster which allows you to expand your shop as well as get more expensive items to deal in.

Shiirn:

--- Quote from: Ozar on September 12, 2010, 08:27:37 PM ---(Sticking to the 30% markup as a baseline cost me a lot of sales.)
--- End quote ---

Now this is a bit I really loved.

You have to be CLEVER in this game.

When Tear mentions that most stores will sell at a 30% markup, you have to remember - you're competing to sell things WITH those stores. You'll want to charge LESS while still getting a profit.

SpaceDrake:
To be honest, this is one of my own personal quibbles with the game. Adventurer item management is probably a little harder than it should be. I mean, the way it's done now does perfectly simulate how an item shop would have to do it - if you put something on display but then try to hold it for one person in particular, you'll run the risk of annoying others. And that one person might not want to buy the thing you want, and so on and so forth.

Problem is, as realistic as it is, it's not very convenient or enjoyable. I'd personally like a way to "gift" adventurers items, if you just want to eat the cost of equipping them so they can help you out better later. Sure, it betrays the concept of the game a little, but it'd make it far less of a hassle to equip the adventurers with the stuff you want to equip them with.

Unfortunately such major changes to core game systems are way, way beyond the scope of any kind of translation project. It's more the kind of thing you'd see in an expansion or a sequel or somesuch. So even if I'm not keen on it, there's not a whole lot that can be done about it.

Iamien:

--- Quote from: SpaceDrake on September 12, 2010, 08:41:36 PM ---To be honest, this is one of my own personal quibbles with the game. Adventurer item management is probably a little harder than it should be. I mean, the way it's done now does perfectly simulate how an item shop would have to do it - if you put something on display but then try to hold it for one person in particular, you'll run the risk of annoying others. And that one person might not want to buy the thing you want, and so on and so forth.

--- End quote ---

In a real itemshop for a RPG, there would be a portion of stock only available to trusted/preferred clients.

If there is expansion talk let me suggest a vendor-time item that consumes 4 item slots, and yields 2 item slots that can only be accessed by adventurers that want them for equipping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version