Author Topic: So hey where's that Fortune Summoners demo (FS status update/chat thread)  (Read 562359 times)

SpaceDrake

• Administrator
  • Capitalism Ho!
    • View Profile
    • Carpe Fulgur LLC
    • Email
(SD edit Jan. 5: where's the demo? It's right here!)

So just to continue discussion from a previous topic: we previously said that the demo for Fortune Summoners would be out this weekend.

That may still happen, but MEL over at Lizsoft pointed something out to us the other day: we haven't actually translated the manual for the game yet.

Derp!

So that might tie things up just a hair longer. Which is a bit frustrating given that we've basically got the demo sitting here ready to go (though I'm going to give it one last playtest just to be sure all the ducks are in a row). It is coming, though, and the full release won't be very far behind.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:20:43 AM by SpaceDrake »

DDRJake

• View Profile
Re: So hey where's that Fortune Summoners demo (FS status update/chat thread)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:37:07 AM »
I've got bugger all to do today, how's about I get the Demo?
It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

TheSwordUser

• The most annoying person in the world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:01:14 AM »
Uh, shouldn't there be a tutorial within the game?
Unless we assume that everyone on the internet is an idiot and can't figure out anything w/o manual (I never read video game manuals and I manage, so...) or that there are some "regulations" that prevent releasing a game w/o manual.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:03:18 AM by TheSwordUser »

SpaceDrake

• Administrator
  • Capitalism Ho!
    • View Profile
    • Carpe Fulgur LLC
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 05:55:45 AM »
Uh, shouldn't there be a tutorial within the game?
Unless we assume that everyone on the internet is an idiot and can't figure out anything w/o manual (I never read video game manuals and I manage, so...) or that there are some "regulations" that prevent releasing a game w/o manual.

We actually did discuss doing this (because the game has extensive tutorials, including optional ones), but Lizsoft specifically requested we make sure the manual is included with the demo. So!

blizgerg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 06:53:29 AM »
Wow, having not translated the manual yet and still saying you might make it this weekend, you guys work hard! I'll set my expectation to next weekend, that way I'll be surprised and delighted if it's any earlier! :D

dkellis

• Headsword.
    • View Profile
    • Moe Check
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »
Unless we assume that everyone on the internet is an idiot and can't figure out anything w/o manual

Considering the sheer number of complaints with Recettear that go something like "I am pressing Enter and nothing happens, and the mouse doesn't work in this game", I am hesitant to suggest that manuals are superfluous.

TheSwordUser

• The most annoying person in the world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »
Unless we assume that everyone on the internet is an idiot and can't figure out anything w/o manual

Considering the sheer number of complaints with Recettear that go something like "I am pressing Enter and nothing happens, and the mouse doesn't work in this game", I am hesitant to suggest that manuals are superfluous.

Except that in case something like that happens, instead of consulting the manual, many people decide to go on forums and post something like "ASDHASDHASEUDA GAME ISH NOT WURKIN I PRESS EVERYTHIN".
But, bleh, if that's Lizsoft demand then I'm cool with it.
As long as this demo comes out before monday.

Ataru

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
Speaking of playtesting... do you guys just do it yourselves, or do you get some friends to help you or whatnot? I guess it wouldn't be the same as playtesting a brand new game since it's a localization but still... from what I've heard about playtesting games it must be a lot of work for such a small group.

QC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »
To be honest, as much as it pains me to advocate something that is A) holding the demo back from me, and B) I don't even use in the first place, a professional company should really have a manual with it. Which I wouldn't be surprised to be at least part of the reason for Lizsoft's demands.

Speaking of playtesting... do you guys just do it yourselves, or do you get some friends to help you or whatnot?
I can't know the answer to this for certain, but I'm pretty sure they are the only testers. I'm almost positive they've said elsewhere that they do not have any testers of any kind other than themselves...

dkellis

• Headsword.
    • View Profile
    • Moe Check
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »
Except that in case something like that happens, instead of consulting the manual, many people decide to go on forums and post something like "ASDHASDHASEUDA GAME ISH NOT WURKIN I PRESS EVERYTHIN".

On a tangent, something which always gives me trouble in understanding is when I see a post going "I've pressed everything and nothing is working" or even "I've pressed every key on the keyboard". Well, no, if they've pressed every key on the keyboard sooner or later they'd have pressed the Z or X keys, which would have resulted in something happening. Since they claim nothing is happening, that implies that they did not, in fact, press every key on the keyboard.

It always takes me several posts to realize that they are not speaking literally.

Which doesn't make sense to me. It's like calling up tech support and saying "I've pressed the OK button but nothing is happening" when they haven't actually pressed the OK button at all.

Chibi Musashi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
On a tangent, something which always gives me trouble in understanding is when I see a post going "I've pressed everything and nothing is working" or even "I've pressed every key on the keyboard". Well, no, if they've pressed every key on the keyboard sooner or later they'd have pressed the Z or X keys, which would have resulted in something happening. Since they claim nothing is happening, that implies that they did not, in fact, press every key on the keyboard.

It always takes me several posts to realize that they are not speaking literally.

Which doesn't make sense to me. It's like calling up tech support and saying "I've pressed the OK button but nothing is happening" when they haven't actually pressed the OK button at all.

Or maybe they can only see the red colored keys... http://cdn.thetechjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/images/1109/1316629651-k60-keyboard-2.png

David J Prokopetz

• Whee~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »
It's like calling up tech support and saying "I've pressed the OK button but nothing is happening" when they haven't actually pressed the OK button at all.

Based on my experience in tech support, people do that all the time.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:40:06 AM by David J Prokopetz »

David J Prokopetz

• Whee~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 08:07:15 AM »
So... how 'bout that local sports team?

DDRJake

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
I can't help but feel the delay in having FS out is for the better; so many folks are still knee-deep in Skyrim it would pass by unnoticed mostly.
It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

locklear93

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
I can't help but feel the delay in having FS out is for the better; so many folks are still knee-deep in Skyrim it would pass by unnoticed mostly.

But I worked on Skyrim for the last year!  I wanna play something ELLLLLLLLLLLSE!  *sigh*