Author Topic: Localization Choices  (Read 2777 times)

Lum

• View Profile
    • Email
Localization Choices
« on: September 10, 2010, 06:04:35 AM »
The yayifications thing instead of the actual meaning kinda bothered me a little, still I thought it was a small detail, but then I found myself with all the stupid SA memes in the game, that totally made me decide to not buy your ''localization'', and I'm not the only one.
If you release a patch with real translation for those parts you could make more money out of your viraling.

BlondRobin

• Capitalism Ho!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Carpe Fulgur LLC
    • Email
Re: Localization Choices
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:17:09 AM »
The yayifications thing instead of the actual meaning kinda bothered me a little, still I thought it was a small detail, but then I found myself with all the stupid SA memes in the game, that totally made me decide to not buy your ''localization'', and I'm not the only one.
If you release a patch with real translation for those parts you could make more money out of your viraling.

When the mysterious forces that control the Japanese and English languages (masses of people) conspire to release an official, 1-1 translation (literally impossible) between Japanese and English, we'll get right on that. Until then (never), unfortunately, we'd rather sell to people who appreciate a good localization than obsess over some kind of imagined linguistic purity.

We think the former group is larger. We also think we can exploit them for more money by convincing them their copy is soaked in butter and must be re-purchased every month (two if you refrigerate it) before it goes bad. Don't tell them that, though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:30:18 AM by BlondRobin »

capitalista

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
From the other side of the issue, I've had my enjoyment of many an otherwise good piece of entertainment ruined by stiff (formal, pure, etc.) translations which destroy the flow of the artwork primarily from an immersion standpoint.

The English translations produced by CP never disrupted that flow for me (so far, anyhow - I'm past the first month in-game), and mesh very well with the tone of the small amount of spoken Japanese I can understand.

The demo does a great job setting the tone for the full game, and if you haven't yet played through it, I highly suggest you do.

SpaceDrake

• Administrator
  • Capitalism Ho!
    • View Profile
    • Carpe Fulgur LLC
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »
I'd be very interested to know which "stupid SA memes" you found so offensive. The only places with truly obvious pop culture references are the item list (and I expect to be beaten for a few of those, but it was so worth it); there's a few more in the script, but we did our best to make them as subtle as possible.

As far as "yayifications" goes, I stand by what I said here: when I had everything scripted out and we just played it "straight", it ended up reading blandly. "Yayifications" and the like bring out certain aspects of Recette's personality that are reinforced (in the original script, mind you) later in the story, and in the end I think the script is stronger for them.

The funniest part is the accusations of "viraling"; as much as I know some people suspect us of doing so, we really haven't been posting on 4chan or any other anonymous sites. The only places I post about the game, for example, are SomethingAwful, Penny Arcade and occasionally the Siliconera blog (by invitation of the owners, mind you). I would post on NeoGAF as well (since tons of devs post there anyway) but they still haven't activated my account. :(

Anywhere else, though? Our fans. Literally the only other people we deal with are media outlets directly, just like any other publisher. So if the game has gone "viral", it's because people like it and tell others about it, not through any vile plots on our part.

laphiel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
Well I personally prefer translations that go with spirit, not the letter. The translation goes wonderfully well with japanese audio.
When snake falls in love with spaghetti, its time to buy a new hat

Pfhor

• she crawlin in ur windows, she snatchin ur pix up
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »
I don't really mind that CP added some pop culture references to the item descriptions (Disgaea did the same thing I found them hilarious), but I kinda wish I knew what they said before.

While yayification might just be the dumbest word ever, it made me laugh at least. Recet probably would say something like that.

Fuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 01:05:38 AM »
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/seele0717/YAYIFICATIONBITCH.png

umyeah.

I didn't catch the pop culture references at all, though. Do I live nuder a rock or something? D:

SpaceDrake

• Administrator
  • Capitalism Ho!
    • View Profile
    • Carpe Fulgur LLC
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:18:32 AM »
Man, for some of the "complaints" we've heard, the 'chan is just havin' a field day with the game, aren't they.

And like I said, the most obvious pop culture references are in the item list. I regret nearly none of them. There's also a few sprinkled hither and yon among the dialogue, but they tend to be pretty subtle and only get obvious in "joke" segment tangential to the main plot.

Selaphiel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »
To paraphrase,

"If you were anymore lost the trees would be shaking"

I laughed so hard. Excellent work on the localization guys.

maverick375

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »
No complaints on the scripting here. I know how hard it is keeping dialog and narrative interesting and fresh to the reader, and if it takes a few (virtually invisible) changes to prevent a stale read, it's a small price to pay. Translating from Japanese is mostly finding the best word in the thesaurus to match the spirit of the kanji anyway.

The interesting thing is that "yayifications" is just as likely to become Recette's (pseudo-official) catchphrase overseas as it is in the west, even if it's late.