CF Games > Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

What are the characters saying?

<< < (2/3) > >>

dkellis:

--- Quote from: DracoHandsome on September 12, 2010, 11:14:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rognik on September 12, 2010, 08:20:42 PM ---Often, when starting a new level of the dungeon, Recette will mention "Ganbatane" (spacing unclear), which means something like "Do your best" or "Give it your all."
--- End quote ---
To my limited knowledge, ganbatane is a single word. I believe it is a conjugation of ganbaru, a verb which means to persist, try one's best, persevere, etc.

... (yes i did register on the forum just to talk about japanese with people :( )

--- End quote ---

Technically "ganbatte ne" by conventional spacing. (I'm too lazy to do the kanji.) Still, Japanese being what it is, "ganbattene" works as well.

To add onto this thread, I hear "wana desu yo" depressingly often in dungeons. (Trans: "It's a trap!")

Clord:

--- Quote from: waronmars on September 10, 2010, 05:49:22 AM ---Hi!

I love the Japanese voices in Recettear just wondering what they are saying? I know very little Japanese these are probably wrong so feel free to correct me.

On adventurer hit:   Daijoubu desu yo!? : Are you OK!?
On place item:        Nani o koko no: What goes here?
                            Nani ga kiyo kono: Place what?
                              Dore ni kiyo kono: What goes here?

I am not sure the meaning of kiyo, so please correct!!

--- End quote ---
Daijoubu desu yo = Are you allright.
Nani o koko no = Where it is?
Nani ga kuyo kono = How I can serve you?
Dore ni kiyo kono = Let me service this (When in Japan they speak to customer, they talk like it is almost Emperor).

Arigatou gozaimasu = Thank you very much.
Arigatou = Thank you.
Ganbatte kudasai = Good luck (with that)
Daijoubu desu ka = Are you allright.
Bogu = Armor
Kenshi = Swordsman
Tsue = Staff
Kagi = Key, Lock
Shouten = Shop
Kouen = Park
Uma = Horse
Adventurers Guild = Boukenka no kumiai
Dungeon = Danjon

Kamirose:
Hm, clord, I don't think she says "Nani ga kuyo kono" or "Dore ni kiyo kono." When I hear the voice, I hear it as "Nani ga kuyo ka na" and "Dore ni kiyo ka na."  Changes the meaning slightly, though the translation would basically be the same.  Also, "Daijoubu desu yo" is not "are you okay," but rather "I'm okay."  "Daijoubu desu ka" would be "are you okay".  I've also never heard "boku" translated as armor and I don't see it in my dictionary as that, it's usually a boyish way of saying "I."

Recette
Irasshaimase いらっしゃいませ - Welcome
Yatta やった - Literally "yay", but in the translation it's more famously "Yayifications!" xD
Ja, ikimashou!  じゃ、行きましょう! - Well, let's go!
Ohayou! おはよう! - Morning!
Nande? 何で? - Why?
Ittekimasu! いってきます! - Literally "I'm going out."  It's a traditional phrase said when someone leaves home.

Tear:
Mattaku まったく - Literally "sheesh" or "jeez," but they've translated it as "merde," the French swearword commonly translated as "shit."
Toriaezu, machi ni modorimashou とりあえず、町に戻りましょう - For now, let's return to town.
Omedetou gozaimasu おめでとうございます - Congratulations
Ohayou gozaimasu おはようございます - Good morning.
Sou desu ne. そうですね - That's right.
Otsukaresama deshita お疲れ様でした - Good work today/Thanks for today/that's enough for today.

Caillou
Hoshii mono ga aru dakedo sa ほしいものがあるだけどさ - There's something I want

Random:
Itai いたい - "Ouch" or "it hurts".
Itai yo いたいよ - Same as itai.

I might edit more in when I can think of some off the top of my head xD I'm not fluent in Japanese, but it is my major, and I have been taking classes for six years now.

Clord:
Oh yes, I meant "bogu" not "boku".

I study Japanese almost daily and have been quite while been doing that. It is because my favorite games usually are made in Japan and not to mention anime is mostly made there too.

http://smart.fm/users/Clord
www.timervx.net

Fuu:
This thread's covered most of it.
At the start of dungeons, I think the adventurers usually say something like '付いてこいよ' (tsuite coi yo), which is basically 'come with me'. I think. My japanese might be off, though.
;A;

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version