Author Topic: Which service from which to buy?  (Read 4496 times)

wanyaxak

• View Profile
Which service from which to buy?
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:42 AM »
Are we allowed to ask which service is best to buy from for the benefit of the Carpe Fulgur?
I'd like to help you guys out as much as possible.
I already have a Steam account with many games and have never used any of the other distributors.

SpaceDrake

• Administrator
  • Capitalism Ho!
    • View Profile
    • Carpe Fulgur LLC
    • Email
Re: Which service from which to buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »
As far as how much scratch we get, they're pretty much all equal, so buy from whoever you like the best.

Pefran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »
As far as how much scratch we get, they're pretty much all equal, so buy from whoever you like the best.

I'm actually curious about that, how much do you get and how much does EasyGameStation gets?

jdietz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:00:15 PM »
It's a secret.  If he told you he'd have to kill you.

I think in the game industry this kind of info you're asking for is a secret.  I'm not really sure why.

We know for a fact the Apple Computer cut of iTunes purchases is 30%.  So I'm inclined to believe the distributor cut in every case is around 30%.  It is just a guess.  We don't really know.

Most companies have policies that prohibit disclosure of sales data.  I know for a fact Atlus USA does have such a policy.  Carpe Fulgur is what, two employees, so they probably don't have such a policy.  However, I heard, like the division of revenue data, actual sales data too is a secret with many of these distribution agreements.

Rincewind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
Steam is 60% to developer, 40% to Valve, apparently.

No idea how much of that 60% goes to EGS and how much goes to Carpe Fulgur though, and I'd imagine thats top secret ;)

Neyvn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:28:26 PM »
Well I bought it from Gamersgate at $20USD, looking at Steam and Impulse going down to $17.99USD kinda says that if Gamersgate gives a good ratio, go with Gamersgate if you want to give your most money to CFG...

Rincewind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 11:46:02 PM »
Or buy more copies, and give em to your friends! Spread the awesomeness :D

Capitalism, ho!

Ashsaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »
I'll buy it on Steam,since I'm already their regular customer.

Not to mention the possibility of Steam's features for this game in the future,like Cloud,Achievements, etc.

SimpleZen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
I'll buy it on Steam,since I'm already their regular customer.

Not to mention the possibility of Steam's features for this game in the future,like Cloud,Achievements, etc.

I like the automatic patches/updates too, although some games/services are better about that than others. It's just nice to know without even checking that I'm always playing the latest version, and can easily see right before I run it if there's any new optional DLC for a game.

TGJudgement

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 04:13:36 AM »
I like the automatic patches/updates too, although some games/services are better about that than others. It's just nice to know without even checking that I'm always playing the latest version, and can easily see right before I run it if there's any new optional DLC for a game.

This is true with most games,but sometimes (and for various reasons),the games do stay out of date and will require manual patches/workarounds to update it.

Nozomi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
I'm also a regular customer from steam since 2003 so i bought from steam and i also prefer steam to buy my games

Pocket Nerd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »
I had a similar quandary with Torchlight (excellent game, BTW); ultimately I split the difference and bought the Steam version for my girlfriend's comp and the non-Steam download for myself. Ultimately I wished I'd gone with the Steam version, as it had better patching support, and they later added achievements, Steam Cloud, and SteamPlay support. I wound up buying it again on Steam, as the generally unintrusive Steam DRM seemed more than offset by the extra features.

This time I'll probably buy a Steam version for each of our computers, and just re-buy it from one of the other vendors if I need a non-Steam, flash-drive-portable version. After all, the price point makes it more an impulse buy than something I need to plan my month's entertainment budget around.
"Revenge is motivation enough — at least it's honest. Hate me, but do it honestly." — Kain, Soul Reaver 2

Alkara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 07:37:51 PM »
I went with Impulse.  I recently bought Elemental:  War of Magic from them and the updates on there are fast and immediate and its very easy to use.  So I decided to go ahead and buy this game from there as well.  Also the whole donating with Impulse donating money to Child's Play was a nice incentive as well.

Ariolander

• MSN Messenger - ariolander@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AnimeAriolander
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ariolander
    • View Profile
    • MaserBeam
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »
Went with Impulse. Already had an account since I play Elemental & Sins of a Solar Empire.

Like their "offline mode" better too. If for some reason your internet craps out or if your laptop doesn't have wireless it handles offline a lot better than Steam does which requires a client restart and internet connection (kinda counter-intuitive to require online to play offline) if you want to play most games offline.
"Her delusions are of the magnitude that start religions. BAD ones."
"Really, I could write books about the reality you live in."

Rincewind

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
By the way, there is a way to get Steam in offline mode without needing an internet connection to start off with.

I have my laptop set to remember my username and password, and before booting up steam I turn off my university wireless, so there's *no* network connections (including ones with no internet access)

Steam then happily starts up in offline mode, and I can reconnect to my university wireless intranet.

I'm considering buying a non-Steam version, just so I can stick it on a pendrive. And I want to give Carpe Fulgur more moneeeey :P