Author Topic: Suggestion & Request  (Read 13593 times)

Hawkey

• View Profile
    • Email
Suggestion & Request
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:36:11 AM »
Hio Carpe Fulgur,

After I found Recetteara few years ago, I unfortunatly had to put it away since I didn't understood something. Now after your translation, I can glady enjoy it again - thanks :D

[now to the topic]

~ Suggestions ~

Perhaps you could add a RSS-Feed option to inform irregulary visitors about news (~ much more appreciated than the common newsletters). Moreover you could put up an Twitter account for your team, which will report about minor updates too ;)

~ Request ~

After I played Utawarerumono (~ with the english translation patch from Mirror Moon) a few years ago, I'd really enjoy Visual Novels & Co. Unfortunatly it's quite hard to find a good one which 1.) can be imported from somewhere and 2.) allready got an english translation patch. Moreover it shouldn't contain too much Eroge stuff and even though be polished. Finding such a game is time consuming, furthermore if it should have gameplay elements and not just plain text/pictures. An example for such a game is Sengoku Rance (~ recommend to skip the bothersome scenes), which I'am currently playing and which has an unexpected strategy deep :D

You mentioned that we could suggest you our ideas for your upcoming projects (~ Recetteara needs to be finished first !) and I thought about an quite unique game, which seems to be very promising (~ although I couldn't understand something in the demo) ;)

Souten No Celenaria -What a Beautiful World-

= Youtube / Opening =

A trading simulation with a steam-punk setting is really interesting, besides the nice looking graphics. Unfortunatly it's rated as "18+" so  if you like to get a wider audiece, a censored option would be good (~ if there are just "harmless" bath sceens, I gues it would be okay for the most). On the other hand the game got released 4 years ago in 2006 (+ an additional fan disc a few months afterwards), so there should be the possibility that the developers/publishers will grant you the permission for distributing the game in the west :)

=> Databank: *click*
=> official Site: *click*

Would be good to know what you think about it ;)

Raide

• Working for Amaterasu Translations and 4LS
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suggestion & Request
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:55:40 AM »
EDIT: Seconding Twitter/RSS.

Souten no Celenaria got a lot of furry content and isn't that popular. However the gameplay is pretty much polished. Here's the only English review I know (might contain NSFW images).

Souten no Celenaria is the first of four from What a Beautiful series, a franchise by an eroge company named Liar-soft. The second of the series, Sekien no Inganock, which contains 1.2MB worth of text (approximately 15 hours read time) and investigation gameplay has been fan-translated by my team.

Since Carpe Fulgur aims for mostly off-radar doujin games, I don't think it's strategic to start doing commercial visual novel/eroge translation market which is currently handled by companies such as JAST (physical product) and MangaGamer (online distribution).

Hawkey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:17:35 AM »
Since Carpe Fulgur aims for mostly off-radar doujin games, I don't think it's strategic to start doing commercial visual novel/eroge translation market which is currently handled by companies such as JAST (physical product) and MangaGamer (online distribution).

Yeah, you're right (~ didn't know there were a digital distributor :o ). It was just the game on my list that still didn't got a translation yet - should concern the marketing aspect next time. Would still be interesting to see what other people suggest  ;)

Raide

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:53:53 AM »
About online distribution model, I'd like to point out to sakevisual. They're a circle consisting of non-Japanese making English-language visual novel with Japanese doujin visual style. They use open source OELVN multiplatform engine Ren'py and have produced two free games and one fully-voiced commercial with a demo. They've been getting attention from bloggers to reviewers such as jayisgames, geekgirltalk, mania, gamertell and so on.

At first it seems weird to compare such developer circle to translation company such as Carpe Fulgur, but it makes sense since sakevisual's games and English Recettear might share a very similar demographic; anime/manga/JRPG fans and casuals that play light and easy-to-purchase/install games. If you find a way to market to them, English Recettear might get the attention it deserves.

Jisei's model is pretty basic. Finish the transaction (I used PayPal) and they'll send you e-mail containing link to the installer, which is open for 90 days. You might want to check and see how it works.

Another less-known online distribution commercial OELVN developer/publisher sites if you're interested are sakurariver, tycoongames, nekomura, and winterwolves. The community is pretty small and consist mostly of hobbyist and free games with diverse quality.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:57:39 AM by Raide »

SpaceDrake

• Administrator
  • Capitalism Ho!
    • View Profile
    • Carpe Fulgur LLC
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
As far as RSS goes, we'll see about setting that up (I'm rather clueless when it comes to things like RSS feeds), but I have to admit that neither Robin or I really "do" Twitter. We prefer to spend our time either writing up substantive replies (like this one) or actually getting work done. I suppose we might have to cave in on this, though, given how everyone seems to use NETROCENTRIC TWITTERFACEBOOK and whatnot these days. Sigh.

As for suggestions... well, I'll remind people of this section from our FAQ:

A point of clarification is perhaps required. While Carpe Fulgur, as a rule, does not cut content as we respect the authors of the works we localize (and the fans who then enjoy the our work and through us the author's), there are certain kinds of content Carpe Fulgur simply will not  release. This includes explicit scenes of sexual conduct.

As a general guideline: Carpe Fulgur will not release a product that would exceed a rating of "M" from the ESRB, even if that title is not rated by that organization. This is slightly problematic as many PC titles in Japan include scenes of explicit sexual activity to boost sales (although our first project never did). Therefore, there may be titles which we otherwise greatly enjoy and wish to bring to the English-speaking world, but we would need to remove explicit scenes from the material in order to sell it without being branded as "smut peddlers"... or worse.

So: feel free to suggest works via mail or on the CF forums, but remember that if you suggest a title with explicit content to us and we like it otherwise, the explicit content will probably be removed in our localization (assuming the authors wish to work with us on hearing that we would need to remove said content to work on the title).

Generally, we're not really interested in "eroge" or other titles with erotic content in them simply because removing the erotic content often means gutting the games in general and having to do a lot of rewrites, and neither we nor the fans enjoy this.

We also do try to focus on games with engaging gameplay on top of an interesting story - that's why we were interested in Recettear to begin with. We probably won't go in much at all for "visual novels" (at least on the PC), because there isn't much actual gameplay involved and it's a much harder sell on the American PC market. (Plus we'd be competing with JAST and Mangagamer, as noted).

Our focus isn't quite just "doujin" or indie games as well - if Square, for whatever reason, comes up to us and says "HAY WE WANT YOU TO LOCALIZE FINAL FANTASY XV FOR US DURF", well, we wouldn't exactly say no :P We're starting with an indie game from a group that produces excellent software, and we'll always keep an ear to the ground of the Japanese indie scene for titles that deserve to come over, but if Recettear and Carpe Fulgur really take off our scope is potentially a bit wider than that.

Anyway, as far as self-publishing goes, I already have an idea on that front, but we'd like to see if we can get on an "actual" distribution network first before going the self-publish route. Thanks for the links anyway, though!

Kweh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:50 PM »
Although I am not a personal fan of the circles you could probably find a pretty big market in the US for games made by Key or Type-Moon. I'm not really a fan of either company but I could assume plenty of people would want to buy an English version of CLANNAD or Melty-Blood. (That being said I have no idea how much of that would be actual localization and not just straight translating)

Raide

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
CLANNAD has no ero content, yes, but 3.16MB script can took average 70 hours read time if you aim for all the routes, which is pretty hardcore for both translation project and average readers who aren't familiar with visual novels. The fan-translation is also already playable with around 50% second half of After Story left unedited. MangaGamer also has been establishing contact with KEY.

Type-Moon is a major company with loads of products at multiple platform (fighting games, light novels, OVA) so I could imagine how hard it is to get license with fair share amount of profit from them. PSP's Fate/Extra [1] [2], however, might be ripe for commercial localization since it definitely would appeal to English dungeon crawler/RPG market and SMT: Persona fans easily.

Licensing-wise Fate/Extra might be troublesome though since Marvelous Entertainment is the publisher (MMV works with Natsume to bring their titles to English; for example Rune Factory and Luminous Arc). Here's one of the gameplay video.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:02:56 AM by Raide »

SpaceDrake

• Administrator
  • Capitalism Ho!
    • View Profile
    • Carpe Fulgur LLC
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:46:20 AM »
I will say this: I'm very interested in Fate/Extra just from the point of view of a player. Fate is one of those franchises that I always thought would do very well here in the States if it was featured in a game that a person could actually "play", instead of "just sit through". (I know a lot of VN fans would say you do more with a VN than just sit through, but I'm talking wider perceptions here.) Fate/Extra is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered in that regard and seems to have a really, really cool "simultaneous initiative" combat system which features both combatants striking at once, and with the Masters helping out the Servants directly (possibly leaving Servants open to attack) and whatnot. The story and concept sound pretty keen too (even if people accuse it of cribbing really heavily from Persona 3).

It'd definitely be something we'd consider localizing, but obviously it's a bit beyond our means to negotiate directly with MMV right now. At this point in CF's life, we'd need the backing of another publisher to really consider it. The only chance we'd really have would be if whoever ended up with the distribution and publishing rights needed the help of competent, proven localizers to make the title as good as it could be. We'd also need to get our hands on PSP devkits, mind, which might not be cheap.

I have to say that we'd probably change the title if by some miracle we ended up working on it. After all, the original Fate game never officially came out here in the U.S., so this game isn't exactly "Extra" for us, now is it?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:17:09 AM by SpaceDrake »

Milton Monday

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:53:55 AM »
Since Recettear is your first title, do you guys have a relationship with EasyGameStation?  If so, I would absolutely love to see Chantelise released in English.  I've never played it due to the language barrier, but it's been described to me as a superior version of Ys 6.  Being the huge Ys fan I am, I'm very interested in playing this.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has an awesome article on it here http://hardcoregaming101.net/chantelise/chantelise.htm

Koromo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »
Since Recettear is your first title, do you guys have a relationship with EasyGameStation?  If so, I would absolutely love to see Chantelise released in English.  I've never played it due to the language barrier, but it's been described to me as a superior version of Ys 6.  Being the huge Ys fan I am, I'm very interested in playing this.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has an awesome article on it here http://hardcoregaming101.net/chantelise/chantelise.htm

Chantelise was already released in English by DHM Interactive.

Milton Monday

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:24:03 PM »
Well, that's a pleasant surprise!  I did not know that.

Is there any other place besides DHM's site where the game is available for purchase?  They won't ship to the US.  I tried googling it and all I got was a bunch of torrents (which I won't use) and a few sites that had digital copies for sale, but wouldn't let me buy it because I'm in the US.

Kweh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
It'd definitely be something we'd consider localizing, but obviously it's a bit beyond our means to negotiate directly with MMV right now. At this point in CF's life, we'd need the backing of another publisher to really consider it.

Dream big!

Raide

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:36:50 PM »
Dream big!

You mean leave home for a glorious adventuran and dragon slaying.

Znea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »
Not sure if this is meant to be a dumping ground for all suggestions/requests, but I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of donation option. You know, just in case I feel that you're selling your game too cheap.

Raide

• View Profile
    • Email